Ready for an oldie but goodie? You know, those recipes that you almost forget about because you are so busy trying to plan your next new and exciting Pinterest recipe that you ignore the tried and true cookies? The cookies that you just can’t stop eating? That’s the pretzel cookies for me, specifically the Rolos, Hugs, and Kisses pretzel cookies. Super inexpensive, so easy, a combination of sweet and salty, and only takes a handful of minutes to make.
The best part is how these little goodies taste. No matter how large of a batch we make, they always run out very quickly.
I went with three different kinds of pretzel cookies with this batch: Rolos, Hugs, and Candy Cane Kisses to get some variety. The Candy Cane Kisses fit right in with the Christmas season.
One thing I noticed in baking all three of these together was the Hugs/Kisses melted much faster than the Rolos. In the future I will probably put them on separate sheets and pull out the Hugs/Kisses about 1 minute earlier than the Rolos.
The M&M’s added a nice Christmas feel to the cookies. Pecans are another great option to top these salty and sweet cookies.
This is also a great recipe for kids to help out with. My kids had fun unwrapping the Rolos and Hugs/Kisses, placing the pretzels on the cookie sheet, and putting the chocolates on the pretzels. Easy peasy!
The key is to make sure you take them out of the oven before they completely melt. The chocolates should be soft but not yet a puddle! After only about 3 minutes (2 for the Kisses/Hugs) in the oven they are ready to be taken out and then the decorating begins.
Mmm, something about the caramel from the Rolo oozing out that is so… AMAZING.
Let’s hear it for the oldies but goodies recipes! These are the recipes that no matter how many fancy schmancy ‘new’ recipes we come across, we always come back to them. These are the recipes that are always a winner in my book. If you’ve never tried making pretzel cookies I encourage you to try them! You will never look back, I promise.
Here is the recipe for the easiest sweet and salty combo cookie EVER!
- Pretzels (square or regular)
- 1 bag of Rolos, Hugs, and/or Kisses
- 1 bag of M&M's or pecans
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Spread the pretzels out on a tin foil-covered cookie sheet in a single layer. Place 1 Rolo, Hug, or Kiss on the center of each pretzel. Once all pretzels are covered place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 3 minutes for the Rolos and about 2 minutes for the Hugs/Kisses or until softened.
- Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and push an M&M or pecan directly into the center of the softened Rolo/Hug/Kiss then allow the cookies to cool. You can also place in the fridge or freezer to speed up the cooling process. The cookies are ready when the chocolate has cooled and hardened.
What tried and true recipe do you have that keeps you coming back? What recipe have you forgotten about but want to make again?